Theatre & Dance students and inaugural Dodding Award recipients, Vir Gupta (’25) and Riley Shanaghan (’25), used their Dodding Award to attend the Prague Quadrennial this June. Vir and Riley joined Professor of Design & Production, Rob Eastman-Mullins, for the 10-day festival and exposition of theatre performance, design, and architecture from around the globe. They volunteered for the event, took in the stunning exhibits, attended performances, and experienced the beautiful city of Prague. Deacs also taking in the PQ for the first time were Assistant Teaching Professor Michael Kamtman, and Director of Theatre & Dance Production, Corey Gilliam.

Prof. Rob Eastman-Mullins, Riley Shanaghan (’25), ATProf. Michael Kamtman, and aWAKEn designer Héba Elkomy meet up on site at the Prague Quadrennial.
Vir presents at a theatre architecture workshop, bringing his expertise and experience to his group’s project.

From Vir: “Prague was one of the most brilliant experiences I’ve ever had. The Prague Quadrennial itself had some of the most creative and amazing exhibits I’ve ever seen, but the workshops, the people, and the city are what made it so special. To be in an environment with so many like-minded people who enjoy the same art form, I really had a lovely time watching shows and immersing myself in all that was happening around me. If anything, I’ll certainly find a way to be back in Prague in 2027. Thank you, Theatre and Dance Department for making this happen!”

Riley and Rob attend a captivating and creative dance performance at Narodni Divadlo.

From Riley: “I had a lot of fun in Prague! The architecture was just stunning and I know my phone storage was screaming at how many pictures I took. I also had a lot of fun volunteering at the Prague Quadrennial because I was able to make a lot of new friends—shout out to Andrea Navaříková from Czech Republic and Marcella Georgini from Brazil. I am very thankful for the opportunity to attend this event and go to Prague!”

Vir, Héba, and Rob attended an adaptation of the Tiger Lillies’ Beggar’s Opera.
Director of Theatre & Dance Production, Corey Gilliam, joined in on a performance from Taiwan at the OISTAT Hub, happening concurrently with the PQ.